workshop manuals and the twin plate GTV6 clutch

Greetings Alfisti!
      While working with Bryan Carters Verde clutch problems last night;(My
condolences, dude.Next time I'll stock the fridge with something stronger than
wine coolers)I began to think of the workshop manual we were looking through.I
bought the factory manual from Rosanova Alfa when I first bought Alfie(87
Milano gold) about 2 1/2 years ago.The manual appears to be a reprint, with
copies of helpful hints and the like inscribed throughout the manual.I'm
curious as to who did the added comments.Does anyone know?I've found them to
be quite helpful.Although the translation from italian to English is less than
perfect, the book is quite useful.
        While thinking along the same lines;the clutch in my '84 GTV6 (Vito)
is a bit "thin".I'm thinking that soon it will be needing replacement.Since
the car has only 85k miles, I am assuming that the clutch is the original
one;I.E.,the twin plate clutch.I understand that this can be swapped for the
single plate clutch as used in the Milano.I'm curious as to the reasoning on
the swap from dual plate to single plate clutch.I can understand the
simplicity part of it,are there any other reasons?I'm curious.I understand
there is a way of pulling the clutch out and replacing it WITHOUT removing the
transaxle;could anybody give some tips and pointers on the subject.My budget
right now is definitely shoestring, so this information is for later
reference.
 Thanks,
Terry and Sharon Akins
Alexandria,VA
1987 Milano Gold2,5 {Alfie}
1981 GTV6 {Vito}
1989 totota Celica GT (wife's car)
and other assorted bits of automotive flotsam and jetsam