Re: alfa-digest V7 #209

In a message dated 10/29/98 2:11:09 AM Eastern Standard Time, owner-alfa-
digest@domain.elided writes:

<< I recently had to drain the gearbox oil on my 91 164L to replace the
clutch. I
 found gear oil in the box (I'm the 2nd Owner). According to the manual and
the
 164 CarDisc it wants Dexron II. I have talked to various people and get
 conflicting info. One dealer told me Alfa changed its recommendation
 (supposedly in a service bulletin) to 80-90 GL5 gear oil due input bearing
 failure. Another dealer told me to use Dexron III. And the third told me use
 either Dexron III or refill with synthetic gear oil. I have looked at the 164
 page and it talks about all three recommendations but nothing specific. I
 refilled the gearbox with Mobil 1 Synthetic GL5 70-95, but it does not seem
 shift as smooth as before.

 Can someone shed some light on what Alfa really wants in the gearbox.
 Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

 Robert >>
Hi Robert
I have a '91 164 L too and had to drain the oil out of transmission and swap
transmissions.Both came with something that looked like gear oil but didn't
smell quite like it.
Now what u should do, if I may suggest this is to get the Car-Disk.I had asked
myself same question and same as you was given various answers.But the car-
disc has a section of AR factory printouts designed for the dealers.In one of
them it said that the transmission was filled from the factory with the Rotra
oil that is a kind of gear oil that meets the specs of dexron and can be
topped off with such.
So go with dexron, as I did the same and feel quite happy except a small leak
from one of the axle input seals that drips straight over the exhaust pipe,
but have that seal on order.
As far as Dexron III (which I have used), it exceeds the performances of
Dexron II.That's how I judged it. I have no complaints about smoothness.
I hope this helps..
On a different matter, I saw first time yesterday close the 164 LS.This is
what they called in EU 164 Super.I wasn't sure if it was sent here.
Also, if this helps anyone I just want to clarify and say that 164 doesn't
follow as a model 75-Milano, but the AR 90.
75-Milano was followed by 155.
Therefore it's not the best comparison to make, between 164 and 75.
I think that a Milano, and the feeling it gives (say the verde) should be
compared with an 155 verde, that is full-time 4wd .

Vlad
'91 164L

End of alfa-digest V7 #210