164 5spd Trans Oil

Hello Alfisti,

I recently had to drain the gearbox oil on my 91 164L to replace the clutch. I
found gear oil in the box (I'm the 2nd Owner). According to the manual and the
164 CarDisc it wants Dexron II. I have talked to various people and get
conflicting info. One dealer told me Alfa changed its recommendation
(supposedly in a service bulletin) to to 80-90 GL5 gear oil due input bearing
failure. Another dealer told me to use Dexron III. And the third told me use
either Dexron III or refill with synthetic gear oil. I have looked at the 164
page and it talks about all three recommendations but nothing specific. I
refilled the gearbox with Mobil 1 Synthetic GL5 70-95, but it does not seem to
shift as smooth as before.

Can someone shed some light on what Alfa really wants in the gearbox.
Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Robert
91 164L 5spd