Milano VIN & clutch questions

  Are the last 4 digits in the Milano VIN the production number?
  Also, I'm having problems with my clutch, and must admit I haven't even
looked at it yet.  I've been sick the last couple days and haven't felt like
crawling under the car, but when I'm better I'd like to have some idea where
to begin looking.
  I've had a rattle in neutral that goes away when I push the clutch in.  It
seems to be coming from the rear of the engine and I just chalked it up to
flex joints, which I have but haven't gotten to.  It's gotten worse over the
last couple days and today the clutch pedal learned a new trick....when I push
it down it goes maybe an inch, then becomes very stiff.  If I push it further
I get a terrible grinding noise that I can't really isolate (remember, I'm
sick...my brain isn't connected)
  If I don't push the pedal down past the easy part of the travel, it won't go
in gear.  The car is dead in the water.  FWIW the clutch was supposedly
replaced about 2 months before I got it (only about 1000 mi. of use).  It was
done by a reputable shop in the area.
thanks
Bryan Carter
No. Va.