re: Campagnolo/Cromodora

John Hertzman described subtle differences between basically similar alloy
wheels that two suppliers, Campagnolo and Cromodora, made for 105/115 Alfas
in the 1970s.  The wheel had radial spokes vaguely resembling the vanes on
the intake fan of a jet engine and has become known in the US, at least, as
the "turbina".  I don't know where the design came from or who was first to
produce it, however, it may have been used first on the Montreal.  Montreal
wheels had the same bolt pattern as other 105 Alfas, but were 6 in., rather
than 5.5 in. wide.  All the examples I have seen were made by Campagnolo.

My impression of the wheels themselves is similar to John's.  There are
very minor differences in details of the design, but Cromodora's version
has a more finished look.  The similarities may be more important: both
versions are exceptionally light and strong.  Either one is an excellent
wheel, which I would prefer over most aftermarket wheels of the same size
made then or now.

John also mentioned that similar "turbina" wheels were produced for the
Alfetta.  Every one of these that I've seen was made by Cromodora.

Jaap Bouma described a different wheel that Campagnolo made as original
equipment for early GTV6s.  This one is 15x6 in. and has a wide, flat
central disk, with much shorter blades than the old "turbina."  Like the
old turbina, however, these are excellent wheels, again much lighter than
the ones installed on later 6-cylinder Alfas.

And, for what it's worth, in the 1980s Spider Veloces were issued with
wheels that look to me like a knock-off of Cromodora's old Daytona.
Curiously, I'm not aware that Cromodora made any of these, but Campagnolo
did produce some of them.  They are again significantly lighter and
stronger than similar-looking wheels made for the same car by other suppliers.

In contrast to the early wheels John described, I don't see a tendency for
the Campagnolo products to be rough or have the look of a small volume,
artisanal product.  I'd doubt that they were making wheels that way in the
'70s, since their bicycle components (their main business) seem to have
been produced in significant numbers using modern methods.

Dana Loomis
72 2000 GT Veloce
88 Milano 3.0
22 alloy wheels: