Japanese Sports Cars

While I may be accused of apostasy, I tend to agree with Mr. Fontova about
Japanese (in his specific case, honda) sports cars. No matter what I may
feel about them personally, I do respect them greatly. All of the "big
four" japanese manufacturers (Honda, Toyota, Mazda, and Nissan) have or
have had very strong motorsports divisions, some ruling their classes for
years. RX-7, 240ZX, NSX, are all really neat sports cars in their own
right.

It's hard to look at these cars and think that there aren't *SOME*
gearheads and car guys in Japan. It is, however, instructive to note that
the most famous of the street cars (240ZX) was almost the direct result of
one man (Hashimoto?), at least according to the History Channel's
"Automobile" series.
It seems to me that the more folk that get involved in a Japanese sports
car, the more homogenized it gets (even more so than one would normally
expect elsewhere). As an example, look at the original 300ZX of the early
80s.

It seems to me selling the Japanese short to imply or flat-out say that
they don't like or produce exciting cars.

Even yet, I still just don't much like them (the cars, that is). Even the
zingy-est of them brings me more in mind of an appliance rather than a car.
I'm probably not paying attention to the right cars, or I've just become so
darned euro-centric...

I love my Alfa, but I'll respect your Honda (NSX, anyway :) ).

Scott Johnson
Alfa Spider FAQ Author