Re: Mice in front suspension

The answer to this question was in my first reply. The answer is NO. The
inner metal sleeve is supposed to be very tight on the spindle. I believe
(please somebody correct me if this is in error), that the lower bushes
rotate. That is, the outer part is supposed to be able to turn around the
inner part. The upper A-arm bush definitely does NOT do this. The upper
one is a typical rubber bonded bush that is supposed to flex, not rotate.
(This is why the securing bolt for the upper bush should only be tightened
with the car at normal ride height.) If the lower ones are the source of
the creaking, they will have to be replaced sooner or later, your choice.

>Are the lower bushes suppose to rotate metal bush on metal spindle or is
>the rubber (if indeed they are rubber bushes) supposed to twist?
>Are seperated bushes a common problem?

The big problem with separated rubber bushes is with aftermarket parts. The
Alfa "ricambi originali" are the only ones that last. I still think the
lower ones are not this type. I think they are a sealed metal on metal joint
that just goes bad after the grease gets out and water gets in. I guess I'm
going to have to saw an old one open to confirm this, unless someody speaks
up.