Exhaust Questions

	Okay, while trying to find the source of a noise (I'll describe it later),
I found a crack in my exhaust.  It's a 74 2000 GTV, and under the car,
there is a piece after the header meets the exhaust which is round, larger
than the exhaust tube, and before any other large exhaust piece.  Can you
tell I don't know what the parts are.  I'm looking at the IAP catalouge,
and it would be the "Front" piece, although their picture makes it look
ovalish instead of round.

	Anyway, at the back of this round piece, it tapers into the normal exhaust
tube.  Where the taper meets the tube is a crack that appears to run all
the way around.  The only thing holding it together is a tounge which is
attached to both this round thing, and the tube on the bottom side
(assumably meant to hold the tube together when this inevitable crack
appears).

	Now, what do I do about this?  Leave it there (I assume it is partly
responsible for the noise I hear in the cockpit since it is right under my
feet), or try to fix it?  What are my options on fixing it?  Is there a
magical exhaust tape that I can patch the hole with, weld it shut, or do I
just get a new exhaust piece?

	If I'm going to start replacing exhaust parts, should I go stock, or
aftermarket?  How much should I replace, header? muffler? the whole thing?

	The noise I was hearing was very odd.  I would hear it after diving
somewhere and being next to a car or wall on the driver side.  While idling
I could hear a metalic creaking noise.  It's hard to describe, put since I
heard it more when there was something to my left to reflect the noise I
figured I would look under the car, probably for a creaking exhaust mount
or loose blast shield.  Found nothing today, but I will keep looking.  Any
thoughts would be great...

							Thanks,

							Sean