Re: Alfa/Volvo Holy Wars: sidebar

From: Will Owen <nashwill@domain.elided>
>Somebody wrote:

>>"Here here Sam Shartzer on "don't flame Volvos." I too own a Volvo and
>>it just keeps going and going. It is a '66 122S with about 250,000
>>miles on it (do that to an Alfa)..."

>Haven't we seen several postings lately about 200K+ Milanos, GTV6s and 164s?

Yeah, I've been saying this for so long that I didn't respond at first,
not wanting to sound like a broken record. 200K is nothing for an Alfa
that's used but not abused. Routine maintenance (admittedly more than a
Toyota) is all they ask. Following this advice, my '74 GTV just rolled over
372,000 yesterday. At my current rate it will hit 400,000 just after the
turn of the millenium (it's a GTV 2000, get it?).

On that same subject, here's a little preview for ARA members. In my
column in the November issue of the Cams (currently at the printer) I
note a significant milestone coming up. As of the day after Thanksgiving
(November 27) I will have had that car longer than I haven't. I bought it
as a graduation present for myself when I graduated from college and got
my first real job. I was 23 at the time and just turned 46 on my last
birthday. A few minutes with a calculator and I pegged the "watershed"
day as 11/27. So while the rest of you are carving leftovers off of the
carcass or leaping out of the starting gate for the seasonal buying frenzy,
I'll be toasting an enjoyable relationship with a magnificent automobile
that's lasted half a lifetime.

>Our boy Rico ('87 Gold) will probably be immortal if we can just
>get that damned leaky rear caliper fixed...but then it's been oozing
>since at least 90,000, when we bought it, and that was about 25,000
>miles ago.

Just getting broken in :-)

- - Jack

| Jack Hagerty                |                                             |
| jack@domain.elided   |                                             |
| Robotic Midwives, Ltd.      |  Black holes are where God divided by zero. |
| Livermore, CA		      |             - Anon.                         |
| (925) 455-1143 (voice/fax)  |                                             |
|        ARA #97, NAR #55105, LUNAR #002 / TRA #3943, Aero-PAC #168         |