Alfa/Volvo Holy Wars: sidebar

Somebody wrote:

"Here here Sam Shartzer on "don't flame Volvos." I too own a Volvo and
it just keeps going and going. It is a '66 122S with about 250,000
miles on it (do that to an Alfa)..."

Haven't we seen several postings lately about 200K+ Milanos, GTV6s and
164s? Our boy Rico ('87 Gold) will probably be immortal if we can just
get that damned leaky rear caliper fixed...but then it's been oozing
since at least 90,000, when we bought it, and that was about 25,000
miles ago.

Yeah, I had a 122S, too. OK car, and handled pretty well, though not
really as well as my '59 544. Both
of'em liked to leave me stranded, though, usually at 3am, in the
mountains or a bad part of town. In the rain. Odd thing is, every car
I've had that came with a reputation for hammer-like reliability has
been a treacherous bitch, whereas all my Brits and Italians have been
very reliable, at least to the extent of breaking down only where it
was relatively convenient, like right in front of the only furrin-car
fixin' place in Williams, Arizona...

So I figure if I stick with Alfas and things, and avoid Volvos and
Saabs and Mercedes - not a hardship, honest - I'll probably spend the
rest of my motoring life
driving cars that usually start and usually get where they're going,
and that are more fun to drive than anything else. What a deal!

Will Owen
'87 Milano (Rico)
'60 Falcon (Alice)
'89 Subaru Justy (Scoobydoo...oops, busted!)