GTV starter problem

I have a curious problem with my '69 GTV starter.  For about a week now
I have been experiencing intermittent operation from the starter.  It
will startup fine in the morning, but does absolutely nothing if I shut
off the car and attempt to restart.  First time it happened I was in no
mood for jokes so I wacked the starter with a spanner, that seemed to
solve the problem then.  I repeated that procedure the next few times
and it appeared to work each time.  This morning I attempted to start
the car and the starter crancked slowly but started the car with some
help from my right foot.  But now I get absolutely nothing when I twist
the key and wacking the starter has no effect.

Is this symptomatic of a dying starter?  I know for a fact it is not due
to a dead battery or low battery.

- -Frank

End of alfa-digest V7 #192