Re: lsd transaxle rebuild

It would help a lot if we knew where the hell you are--Fred's request to
put your location in your sig makes a great deal of sense--in any event,
Tony @ AutoScientific in Belmont, California, USA is great on rebuilding
differentials--it's a kinda expensive process, but since I had a lot of
other things done at the same time, I don't know the cost of just the dif.

On Wed, 21 Oct 1998, Chris Lesher wrote:

> >> I said:
> >> Can anyone comment on just how different the non-lsd cars are from lsd in
> >> slippery conditions?  I might be replacing my transaxle and the non-ls seem
> >
> >so Jess replied:
> >Argh! you are doing it in reverse! Everyone's trying to get lsd while you
> >are getting rid of it? By all means keep it!, rebuild it if you have to!
> >
> >With non-lsd, if you are stuck, and one wheel is not much loaded, it
> >will spin and spin and the other wheel with traction won't do a thing!
> >Definitely keep your lsd!
> >Jess
> >
> Whoa Jess...  I'm not *trying* to get rid of it, it's just that options are
> limited.
> Rebuilding has been considered - only by me though, since everyone I've
> talked to says just find another.  Has anyone here ever actually had a
> differential rebuilt? Who did it and how much did it cost if so?  I like the
> idea of having a known good unit instead of paying umpteen bucks for a used
> one that I can't tell anything about without putting it in my car.  Gotta
> find someone who will do a rebuild, though.
> How 'bout buying another - what's a Platinum transaxle worth? (I definitely
> don't want the Verde ratio.)
>
> Chris Lesher
> (had a great lunch - saw 2 red 308 Ferraris in 2 blocks!)

Regards,
Alan G. Lambert___________________________________<gerard@domain.elided>
           *******Los Altos, California (office)*******