My winter snow tire experience....

I wholeheartedly endorse the second set of wheels/tires for high performance
snow tires....

I had Pirelli 190's on my CRX- awesome tires on a great car.
Bridgestone Blizzaks on my Miata- Great on ice and snow, terrible in dry
Pirelli Winter Ice on my wife's 164- She loves them, perfect combination.

When the Blizzaks wear out, I will put on Pirelli's on the Miata.  I only
need the severe ability for perhaps 3 days out of the year, and even then,
the speed is only 40ish MPH.  If you have snow from Dec 21 to March 21, well,
then you need no compomise for good weather.

Anyway, thats my observations
Eric Storhok
Ann Arbor, MI