164 Petrol fumes

I have a smell of petrol in the boot of the car, which sometimes I get
inside as well.
It seems to be particularly bad just after starting the engine.
The mechanic who looks after the car can find nothing amiss, but he did
comment on the design of the "fuel tank evaporator chamber", it being in
the boot on this model, other cars have them outside in the main
airstream.

Anyone experienced such a problem?
Could the smell be connected with the "evaporator chamber"?

John
94 164 Cloverleaf