Re: Crane electronic ignition

>Tom Muccino wrote:

 > Has anyone out there installed IAP's Crane XR7000 electronic ignition in
 > a mid-70's Spider? If so, how did the installation go and are you pleased
 > with the performance? Does it work with the Marelli S-103B and/or the
 > S-103BA distributor? Also, does anyone happen to know how long the
 > +battery cable (i.e. the one that goes from the trunk to the starter) is
 > for a Spider?

 I installed the Crane XR3000 ignition fron IAP on my 78 Spider about a month
ago.  The installation was fairly straightforward.  Unfortunately the Marelli
distributor must be removed from the engine and partially disassembled in
order to install the shutter and optical pickup assembly since this is the
only way to remove the rotor.  However it's not very difficult as long as you
keep the engine at #1 TDC.  As for the performance evaluation, I'm afraid that
the jury's still out in my case due to a failing Spica F.I. pump that has
prevented me from doing much driving.  Although I will say that the engine
fired immediately when i first started the engine to reset the timing.

Hope this helps,
Troy Marcella
Baton Rouge, LA
78 Spider