Re: Starters

In AD7-181 Carson Damm, who has a 1970 1750 GT Veloce and a 1977 Spider up in
Ft. McMurray, Alberta, Canada where I understand it can get cold, asks:

>>Is the starter the same or can you use the same starter on all the common
105/115 cars? I always thought they were but I figured I should confirm it.<<

Short answer is NO, not the same and YES, you can use the same starter on all
the common 105/115 cars but not without some fiddling.

AR Service Bulletin 05-02, October 1975 "Hard Starting From Cold, USA 2000
Models, Series 115 Only" says that in order to facilitate starting from cold a
new 1 HP starter motor #115.00.05.030.01 is available for use on 2000 models.
It is used on all Alfettas and (I assume) on all other 2000s after that date,
and probably some before, but I do not know the changeover date. To fit to
earlier 2000s there was an installation kit 115.00.05.030.01/99 which includes
a support bracket. Some grinding of the motor mount is required, and some
grinding of the block may be required. The service bulletin shows where.

That covers the two-liters. Implicit in the "2000 Models, Series 115 Only" is
that it isn't quite that easy with the 1750. As one moves back there are other
issues, none completely insurmountable, with the meshing of the starter pinion
with the flywheel ring gear, of which I believe there are a couple of variants
- - different numbers of teeth, different diameters- but I don't have the
details at my fingertips. Ideally one matches ring gear with starter, but
there were some kludges that were workable if one accepted accelerated wear
and more noise. Someplace down the line there was a special offset bolt
probably not available at the local ironmongers'. Details were discussed in
Alfa Owner around that period and in various chapter newsletters, many of them
I believe repeating elements of an article by the late Herb Bridge originally
printed in Velocissima. If others offer the details, fine, if not I can dig
for them later.

John H.