Re:164 - Brake Lights intermittently coming on

Pierre wrote:

> Hi Guys, I wondered if anyone of you knew what is the meaning of Both
> Brake Indicator Lights (Brake Fluid and ... hmm... do not remember name
> in English -- yeah the little pieces around the caliper :-).

> As I said, the 2 lighs come on for a 1 or 2 second periods, at
> non-specific times... Only repro pattern I have found is that it happens
> when I take my foot off the accelerator and start touching the brake
> pedal.

> Brake fuild is ok, have not checked anything else, but still did not
> find any effects out of this.

I suggest to have a look at the front break pads. It might be time to change
them or you can have a bad pad sensor. It can either be the contact on the
wire that has to be cleaned or the sensor in the pad that has melted. You can
test this by short-circuit the sensor in the contact.

Melting the sensor usually happens at the temperature when the pad starts to
fade. This has happened to all my pads when taking the 164 to the tracks. I
have tried pads from JUST (highly dangerous), JURID (fade early), Alfa Romeo
(fade at hard use) and Tarox (fade at very hard use). Next to try is Pagid RS4
and perhaps cross drilled disks. Is there anyone that has had the same problem
and solved it?

/Peter Greis
CAR Sweden
164 3.0 V6 -90