speedo problems

I have an 87 spider with a speedometer that does not work.  I needed to
replace the speedometer generator as the PO had stripped the threads to
attach the cable to it.  Before I was able to track down a speedo
generator I held the cable up to it using duct tape.  For a while the
speedo would read about 20mph when doing 30mph and about 40 when doing
60-70.  Then the speedo started to read only 20 at highway speed and
nothing any slower, but throughout the whole time the odometer continued
to work.  Now I put in the new generator and it still only reads 20 at
highway speed but the odometer no longer is working.  Any thoughts?  I
still need to take out the gauges and clean them and check connections but
I am not sure why the odometer would stop functioning.

Chris