VVT solenoid (its right there on the...uh oh!)

It isn't there!

The cam cover on my recently purchased '84 Spider Veloce (my first Alfa)
doesn't have the VVT
solenoid or its mounting holes.  Otherwise it seems to be correct, with
holes to secure the intake
sleeve and auxiliary air device.  When I removed the cam cover, I found
the hydraulic part of the
VVT device in place on the intake cam.

So here I am, running around with a permanently retarded intake cam.
Does anyone know what
kind of cam cover this could be?  After all, the other Bosch FI
components bolt right up to it.

There are two courses of action I can take:

1.  Replace the cam cover with one that has the solenoid, and have it
rewired (I can't find any stray
wires or connectors).
2.  Replace the cams with a non-VVT type and a "regular" intake cam
sprocket.

I welcome any advice or suggestions.  Thanks in advance.

Gary Merrill
Nixa, MO