Re:Popping Exhaust

Dave,

>>Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 10:01:25 +1000
>>From: Bill_Magoffin@domain.elided
>>Subject: Re: alfa-digest V7 #162

>>Yesterday we had a bit of rain. While driving home I went through a bit
>>of a puddle and then noticed that when I decelerated there was a bit of
>>a thumping noise from under the car. Almost like a louder version of the
>>backfiring type popping noise I normally get from the exhaust when
>>decelerating. It went away by the time I made it home.

>actually, this is a question i've had on my mind for awhile. my spider
>does this 'deaccelerating popping' as well. is it normal?

	My 79 Spider and my 73 Montreal both do this, it's the result of
running a rich fuel mixture in the cylinder as is normal for all Alfas.
During deceleration the fuel mixture is not completely burned so it
combusts in the exhaust.  Relax, that's one of the things I really dig
about these cars, it scares the shit out of the competition (other
non-Alfa vehicles) and intimidates the civilians.  Ever see the Porsche
935's on the race track?  They have a similar effect during deceleration
around corners, they have a little flame shooting out of the tail pipe.
I've been told that my Montreal does the same thing, I've never seen it,
I'm always driving.  I think it's cool as hell that it does that.  Ciao!

						Regards,
						Regan Copple
                  (vroom, vroom, pop, pop pop!)	79 Spider
	(VROOM, VROOM, POPPETY-POP-POP-POP!!!!)	73 Montreal

End of alfa-digest V7 #172