Re: rear wheel bearing removal

Joe Senesac wrote:

>I am trying to remove a rear wheel bearing from a 1600 Duetto type
>axleshaft.  It is the type of shaft with the threaded crown nut that
>acts as the retainer for the bearing (unlike newer ones that have the
>shrink fit retaining ring).  I have removed the crown nut, but cannot
>budge the bearing.

The bearing is pressed on. Phil Williams gave pretty good advice about
taking it to a local machine shop for removal. They do this sort of
thing all the time. One thing I would add is that you should remove 2
of the studs from the bearing retainer. Remove them from opposite
corners. You can do this by double nutting. This makes it easier to get
the tool under the bearing. The bearing retainer plate can be bent by
the press if they just stick the press plates under the retainer. The
right tool to use is a "clamshell" bearing splitter. This tool wedges
under the bearing (with the studs out of the way), then the press can
push on the tool, not the bearing retainer. Ask them to do it this
way. There are shops that will remove it with a large hammer and a
giant screwdriver when you're not looking. =:o

In addition to the lock plate, I would use some blue Loctite on the
ring nut. Those ring nuts can do some damage if they come loose.