Re: GTV 6's Post Hill Country Rally Stress Disorder

Darren wrote:

> Well, I just rolled in after the Texas Hill Country rally, and
> boy are my ribs sore! <rimshot>

	From laughing or the drive? #;^) It may have felt like an
	endurance rally, but it WAS really a tour.

> Okay, anyway... I enjoyed meeting those I did, and to those I
> didn't: Next time, I promise! I really emjoyed seeing so many
> nice Alfas, especially the GTV 6s, and the very nice Red
> Giulietta Spider that came in from Austin!

	Hope mine didn't depress you too much. #:-o
	That was fellow Digester Jay Reddy's Giulietta!

> I exposed a roll of film, and I'm hoping to have them on my web
> site by next weekend. I'll let everyone know when they're
> posted.

	GREAT!

> My GTV 6 did not fare as well as I did, however. Got a couple
> new noises to trace, and a nasty soot-looking film has formed
> on top of my coolant in the reservoir. I installed a new (used
> - thanks Brian!) radiator last night, and I'm hoping the sludge
> is just washing out of *it*, and not coming from my *engine*! A
> couple flushes should let me know for sure, eh? In case it is
> coming from my engine, what causes a flaky, sooty film in the
> coolant?

	I agree. Flush, flush flush!

	Old dirty radiators?

	At least yours didn't seize up like the engine of Zack
	Johnson's GTV6 did! We were just poking along. Yeah,
	right!

> There is also a troubling "hissing" noise coming from
> underneath, from the vicinity of the gearbox. Sounds kind of
> like a set of aluminum drum brushes being rubbed across a snare
> drum.

	Sounds like you have one or more hung inboard brake
	caliper pistons or one or more warped rotors.

	Time for a valve adjustment...the clock is ticking. %^@

> Oh, and thanks to the Ferrari club for making feel a little
> less confident in my manhood! :-)))

	But a worn out Alfa GTV6 was leading them around by the
	nose AND THEY WERE LOVING IT!!

	Hope you had as much fun as I did.

Ciao,
Bernardo Zelazninni