Re: GTV6 does imitation of crispy fried chicken,owner perplexed

>        On my beloved new (to me)84 GTV6 w/85000 miles, the starter is
giving
>me problems.Went out to terrorize roads last Sat,turned the key on and the
>starter motor kept running after the motor was started and running.Any
ideas?
>        One slightly scary problem may be causing this, but could use some
>advice first.On this car, there is a red power cable in the left side of
the
>engine compartment.(It's red and appears to be about an 8-10 gauge wire.The
>insulation is BURNED OFF this wire, which connects to the alternator and I
>would assume goes to the starter as well.It connects to the box which on
>Alfie, my Milano has wires coming from the fuel pump to it.
>          Question time.What would cause such a large cable to burn it's
>insulation off like this?(Reversed polarity on the battery?)This cable has
>been like this for some time, there is some corrosion on the wire.How is
the
>best way to approach fixing this?The car runs fine,fuel is going to the
motor
>and it's just that the starter motor won't disengage.I'm thinking this wire
is
>shorting somewhere causing the starter motor to continue running.

I'd be inclined the other way and suggest that the starter motor (which is a
generator when back-driven) is causing the wire to burn its insulation. (And
the fact that it's been like this for a while indicates that this has
happened to the car before in its life.)

Fix whatever is causing the starter to bind up and not release, then replace
that wire, and you ought to be all set.

(Now, that's a somewhat WAG, but I've dealt with the sticking starter
burning up electrics on a friend's Honda; I've never seen the inside of a
GTV6 engine bay, so I don't have a clue as to the wiring diagram... :-) )

- ---Jim