Re: GTV6 does imitation of crispy fried chicken,owner perplexed

Greetings Alfisti,
        On my beloved new (to me)84 GTV6 w/85000 miles, the starter is giving
me problems.Went out to terrorize roads last Sat,turned the key on and the
starter motor kept running after the motor was started and running.Any ideas?
        One slightly scary problem may be causing this, but could use some
advice first.On this car, there is a red power cable in the left side of the
engine compartment.(It's red and appears to be about an 8-10 gauge wire.The
insulation is BURNED OFF this wire, which connects to the alternator and I
would assume goes to the starter as well.It connects to the box which on
Alfie, my Milano has wires coming from the fuel pump to it.
          Question time.What would cause such a large cable to burn it's
insulation off like this?(Reversed polarity on the battery?)This cable has
been like this for some time, there is some corrosion on the wire.How is the
best way to approach fixing this?The car runs fine,fuel is going to the motor
and it's just that the starter motor won't disengage.I'm thinking this wire is
shorting somewhere causing the starter motor to continue running.
          I also have the emergency brake light this comes on when the car is
shut off,and inoperative oil pressure and water temp gauges.Could this be tied
in in some way to the crispy cable snaking my way through the engine
compartment ?
I desperately await all replies.
Thanks,
Terry and Sharon Akins