Re: shock replacement on 69 1750 Spider

Thanks to all who gave advice.  Last night I went back at the task.  I
had previously attempted to remove the bolts at the lower training arms
and thought (was convinced) that there was inadequate clearance to get
them out.  After once again getting the floor jack under the read of the
trailing arms to relieve the pressure on the bolt I tried to tap them
out, and amazing, they indeed came out with just a bit of twist at the
end of travel.

Lowered the arm, removed the spring, placed shock in spring, put spring
back into position and reassembled.  First side was the driver's side,
passenger side's install was going well... until I attempted to tighten
the lower bolt on the shock (to the trailing arm).  It snapped off!!

I have never experienced this.  The large flat washer had not yet
completely contacted the rubber bushing.  The bolt is a nylock and
required quite a bit of torque to turn.  Bought shocks through IAP.
Called them this AM, they are sending out a replacement today.

I approached this task with much caution, I've seen what a loaded spring
can do when it escapes.  Billing able to totally unload it for removal
was great.

Thanks again for all the helpful advice.

Paul Weimer