164L 5-spd Backup Lights Switch

Does anyone have any experience changing the backup lights switch on the
transmission housing of a manual 164?  Although this looks pretty easy
(screw out old one, screw in new one), I'm afraid I may be missing
something.  I hope I will not have to sell my plasma to fix such a minor
problem.  Inspection time is near, the water pump is going South, and I need
new tires...

Of course, I have already tried cleaning the contacts, etc.   The switch
seems to work in an open/closed sense, but is too dirty or corroded to pass
the required power (bypassing the switch causes the lights to come on as
usual).  For $20, I might as well just replace it...

Any help or hints would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Steven Mindy
'91 164L 5-spd