RE: Replacing rear shocks on 69 1750 Spider

> Need some advice.  I have the car up on a set of platforms that elevates
> the about 2 feet.  Gives good working distance to underside tasks.  I
> have removed the rear stock SPICA shocks via the access panels between
> the cockpit and the trunk.  The Bilsteins that I purchased can not be
> installed via the same path (diameter sufficiently over size to prevent
> this path).

this doesn't sound right to me - i can't imagine a shock with a diameter too
big to go through that opening.

> I figure the only was to get these shocks installed is to remove the
> rear springs, install the top end of the shocks, replace the springs,
> bolt down lower shock end.  So, the challenge of removing the rear
> springs.

this is the hard way, but it works.

> I have removed the rebound straps and disconnected the connecting links
> to the swaybar(?).  I next jacked up the rear portion of the body by
> spanning the car with a 2x4 just ahead of the radius rods and placing
> the jacks at that location.  This has permited expansion of the rear
> springs, but not sufficiently to unload them and permit safe spring
> removal.
>
> Looks like I'll have to disconnct the radius rods from the axle and
> slowly lower them to unload these springs.
>
> Am I going about these correctly, and safely?   Appreciate comments and
> suggestions.  I am hoping to finish this job tomorrow.

there is a special tool to lower the rear of the trailing arm away from the
rear axle.  i noticed a follow-up post to this one in which you had problems
getting the bolts out (sounds like they're in the wrong way).

last time i dropped trailing arms on a spider was a few months ago.  i
hadn't yet figured out the proper usage of the special tool, and we ended up
disconnecting the front of the trailing arm, which gave enough leverage to
lower it by hand.  you might try putting a floor jack underneath the front
of the trailing arm and lowering that end.

the only problem is that you might not have the car up high enough to get
all the pressure off the springs.

good luck,

bs

End of alfa-digest V7 #150