Replacing rear shocks on 69 1750 Spider

Need some advice.  I have the car up on a set of platforms that elevates
the about 2 feet.  Gives good working distance to underside tasks.  I
have removed the rear stock SPICA shocks via the access panels between
the cockpit and the trunk.  The Bilsteins that I purchased can not be
installed via the same path (diameter sufficiently over size to prevent
this path).

I figure the only was to get these shocks installed is to remove the
rear springs, install the top end of the shocks, replace the springs,
bolt down lower shock end.  So, the challenge of removing the rear
springs.

I have removed the rebound straps and disconnected the connecting links
to the swaybar(?).  I next jacked up the rear portion of the body by
spanning the car with a 2x4 just ahead of the radius rods and placing
the jacks at that location.  This has permited expansion of the rear
springs, but not sufficiently to unload them and permit safe spring
removal.

Looks like I'll have to disconnct the radius rods from the axle and
slowly lower them to unload these springs.

Am I going about these correctly, and safely?   Appreciate comments and
suggestions.  I am hoping to finish this job tomorrow.

TIA,
Paul Weimer
Ohio