115 suspension unspringing question

Hi All,
I've got first-time shakes about pulling apart my front suspension in an '89
spider for a rebuild, and someone (?) recently posted a method of popping
the spring using 4 2foot long threaded rods and 3 nuts on each rod to lower
the bottom spring support.  This idea appeals to me more than "spring
compressors" (sounds safer, with 4 rods instead of 2), but I'm unclear on
the procedure--if they are 2' rods, won't the car have to be 3' in the air
to get the rods into the holes?  The threaded rod length is mostly below the
suspension arm, sticking straight down, right?  How much will the spring
uncompress before becoming loose? 6 inches or more?  Any other advice or
potential pitfalls I should know before doing this procedure?

thanks for all help, I need it.
dan in KC.