Used car warranties

<<<<<
Does anyone have any experience purchasing a waranty for a used car?
Please let me know.

This is not exactly Alfa content, but the same principles apply.  Last
year, my wife and I bought a used 1994 Mazda MPV with 50,025 miles.  Of
course, all manufacturer warranties had just expired.  We splurged and
bought the 36,000 extended contract through GMAC for $1400.  It has a
$200 deductable.  Let me list what we've had to repair on it:

1) Rebuild rear A/C system.  Amount covered by warranty: $915.
2) Rebuild V6 head (there had been a recall, but this vehicle had been
missed.)  Amount covered by warranty: $1350.
3) Cruise control is starting to act up.  I'll wait as long as possible
(in case anything else breaks and I can combine them into one
deductable.)

I short, I've paid $1400 for the warranty, $400 for deductables and
gotten $2265 in repairs.  So, I'm ahead <g>.

But, look at who underwrites the warranty.  GMAC (or Ford, BMW, etc.)
are not fly-by-night outfits.  "Fred's Used Car Warranties" may have no
many exclusions and deductions that it's not worth buying.  Read the
fine print!  And if possible, have the car checked out by a competent
dealer *other* than the one selling the car.  Find out if anything is
questionable, or might need repairs early.

Howard K. Warren
1988 Milano Platinum, "Snow Hawk", 150k miles