Re: 164 Stereos and ashtrays.

Some further information on center consoles and ashtrays...

Kerry Mayes <MAYESK@domain.elided> writes:
> I spent the weekend fitting a new stereo to my 92 164 QV.  I have to say the
> comments in the 164 FAQ were extremely useful.  I had to dismantle large parts
> of the dash to get the previous one out.  My 164 has the cover that comes down
> over the radio to hide it away and the similar functioning ashtray underneath.
> My first attempts at getting to the headunit were rather abortive and I had
> almost given up when I went back and re-read the FAQ.  This gave me the vital
> clue that I just needed to remove the centre console over the gear stick and
> handbrake - which was as simple as two screws under the rear ashtray.  The left
> hand side carpet was as easy as 1 screw.

In my 164 ('94 LS), I didn't have to remove the console in order to remove the
radio. I just had to remove the right side carpet. This gave me access to the wiring
harness in the rear. The radio just slid out after releasing some clips.

> I was also able to fix the ashtray which wouldn't stay in.  When you pushed it
> in, it would click as if it was going to hold and then spring out again.  I
> found that there was a small roller held in place by a spring.  the spring was
> not holding it firmly enough which allowed it to spring back (opening the
> ashtray).  All that was required was a little reinforcement of the spring which
> I did with a piece of wire wrapped around the mechanism at right angles to the
> spring.

I replaced the lid on my ashtray recently. That did require removing the console.
This involved removing both side carpets, unscrewing the screws under the rear
ashtray, removing the two screws on the sides (behind where the side carpets were)
and disconnecting all the wires that go to the switches and lights in the console.
After that, the console just lifted off.
Removing the ashtray lid was a little tricky. There are two plastic caps which fit
over pegs on the sides of the lid. These caps slide in a groove as the lid opens and
closes. The caps have to be carefully pryed off (unless you are replacing the lid).
> So I now have the head unit in place in a nice fully functioning dash.  Next
> step is to install the CD changer and run the cables to it.  I am hoping to get
> these to the boot (trunk) under the back seat.
>
> I decided not to change the speakers as the current ones are rivetted in and
> they seem to be reasonable quality.   And also the speakers I have are a set of
> six - with separate tweeters at the front.  I cannot see how I would install
> them without modifying/mutilating the car.  Though in my owners manual there
> seems to have been an option of six speakers where tweeters were fitted in the
> doors just in front of the door handles - has anyone seen this?
Yes, my car has these.

- --
Colin Verrilli     Raleigh, NC     verrilli@domain.elided
'84 GTV6        '87 Milano Gold         '94 164LS Auto
Mid-Atlantic Alfa Romeo Club (MAARC) Treasurer
MAARC Home Page:  http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/2380
164 Home Page:    /alfa/FAQ/164
NOS Alfa Parts for sale: http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/2380/cbvparts.htm