166s, ashtrays and general ramblings

The NZ National Business Review has a report of the press launch of the 166.
Has some real quotable bits, so apologies to Peter Gill (the writer) here are
some of them:

"Alfa Romeo makes a luminescent scream in the dark against the pandemic of
blandness that now characterises so many cars."

"This is one of the few cars in five years I have tested that has no
cupholders.  Fiat, ..., chooses not to market ... Alfas in the US and claims
that cupholders are a peculiarly American requirement."  So there you are, if
you didn't whinge about cupholders so much, they might come back!

"This is a silent car but one that does not let its driver forget that the
pleasing thrum of an engine under hard acceleration is very much a part of the
total experience of a performance sedan."

"A relationship with a six cylinder Alfa Romeo is probably the last available
to a man these days that is unimpeachable."  This last is a bit deep for me,
perhaps someone can explain it to me :-)  (all I am sure of is that it doesn't
have anything to do with Clinton!).

Kerry Mayes
92 164 QV