powder-coating, again

Chris Brown, Ed Gibbs and I responded to Brian's question about powder
coating, and Chris also wrote me off-digest. Part of his message to me was
that we are getting ripped-off on prices (which may be true, but -) The prices
listed by the custom service I mentioned generally ranged from $25 for the
smaller parts to $250 for an engine block, while Chris says "It is also cheap,
$2-3 per piece typically", and mentioned (in an off-digest note to me) that
"for all the (50 or 60) bits on a 105 coupe, my receipts tally about $230".

Most powder coating in the United States (and probably most in many other
places) is done on an industrial basis by concerns which are probably not
interested in the retail customer who wants a few odd parts done. I know that
there are industrial powdercoaters in my area, but none are listed in the
phone book, which suggests that those that are here do not seek-out the walk-
in trade. Some national economies are appreciably more adept at doing
individual jobs, but they make different trade-offs on costs of labor,
materials and equipment. I am not touting the merits of the specialty shop I
mentioned; if anybody knows of shops (in this country, preferably in this
region) that reliably do quality work on small jobs at particularly affordable
prices I will be very happy to hear of them.

The Eastwood D-I-Y kit is interesting, and I may get their kit sooner or
later. The process is effectively limited to the size of your oven, (a spare,
in the garage, with appropriate wiring) and in my anticipated uses I will want
to get a bead-cabinet (which I also want for other uses) to go with it. $150
for the basic Eastwood kit, $43 for the silicone plugs and tape, $12 a whack
for eight ounces of powder, $524 for their medium blast cabinet, $100 for the
plastic media, $32 for the glass beads, $25 (est) for a used oven, and one
would be in business for under $900, assuming one wants to dedicate the shop
space. Plus air supply, of course. Chris says "blasting is required", Eastwood
says "strip part down to bare metal using chemical strippers or mechanical
abrasives."

There is at least one slight ambiguity in the Eastwood description of their
powder-coat system. On one page, the system can be used "on any part small
enough to fit into your oven that will withstand the 400 degrees f (204
degrees C) cure temperature without damage"; but in the main description on
another page it says "all you need is a compressed air source (10 psi from a
portable tank with a regulator or a compressor) and an electric oven or a
toaster-oven." Toaster oven? TOASTER OVEN?

Eastwood is a wonderful resource, but you will be hard pressed to find
anything in their catalog which suggests that anything- welding, body-and-
fender work, painting, anything- requires any particular skill, experience,
judgment or equipment beyond their kits. I would proceed, but with some
caution and modest expectations.

Looking forward to more,

John H.
Raleigh, N.C., U.S.A.