164 check engine light

the check engine light stayed on for about 6 seconds while I was coasting
down a gentle hill at around 58-60. All guages were in their normal places,
etc. I was going over some rather old expansion joints in a bridge, which
may have caused a hiccup somewhere, but I can't explain this at all. This is
the fourth time it has happened in about 2 months. My cruise control doesn't
work, and the fuse is ok, and so is the connector between the computer and
the mechanism itself next to the airbox (this was the culprit last time).
I'm stumped, and I just want to know what this could mean. Other sources (ie
the manual) aren't helpful. I'm sure us digesters can rustle up the
brainpower to tackle this one.
Thanks and best wishes to anyone in Georges path.
mark domby