Re: warm tops are better!

> I couldn't get the top closed no matter what. Left the car
> sitting in the sun behind my garage for about 3 hours (it
> was a warm day, about 88 degrees) and when I came back...
> click.... right into position like a glove!

Here's a trick from a friend, I've used it myself:

You've parked your car in your garage, top-down, and now there's a cold
snap.  You can't leave it in the sun because there isn't enough, or it's
raining, or something like that.

Take a bunch of towels, soak them in hot water, and fold the top up to
where it won't quite snap into place.  Lay the towels on the top for a
few minutes to let the heat soak into it and you can put the top up
easily.

> Also, I try to convince people that the person putting the top
> on has about 85% of the responsibility for how the finished
> product looks.

That's because you sell tops.  Since I don't have any financial interest
in it, I try to convince people that the person putting on the top has
about 99% of the responsibility for how the finished product looks. :-)

Seriously, assuming that you start with a top of acceptable quality, the
installation is where you'll make or break the car's appearance.  I've
never installed a top on an Alfa, but I've put several on British sports
cars, and the trick there is patience, getting the top *tight*, and
remembering the old carpenter's adage -- "measure twice, cut once."  A
sharp knife, a piece of tailor's chalk, all the right tools, and an
assistant are absolute requirements.  You *will* need someone to pull on
the opposite side as you stretch the top into place.

Something else: assuming Alfa tops are glued to the header rail on the
top frame, don't use contact cement.  I liked 3M brand trim adhesive; it
holds very tight when it finally cures, but you have several minutes of
"fiddling" time if you need to realign or adjust part of the top.

And as a final tip for the DIY top installer: Take the time to paint
your top frame while it's out of the car and the fabric has been
removed.  You won't *believe* how much difference it makes to see
smooth, fresh paint on the top frame, opposite nice taut fabric.  I used
to use a satin black product from Rustoleum, not as matte a finish as
flat black but not a high-gloss either.  It looked subtle and very
sharp.  I spent a few days driving the car with the top up, even though
the weather would have permitted folding it down, just because the new
frame and the new canvas looked so cool. :-)

- --Scott Fisher
  Sunnyvale, California (hi Fred!  Hope you stay dry!)