Spider speed vs rpm

     My apologies to Jaap in Holand. I attributed Alan's post on speed vs
     rpm to Jaap. Been trying to catch up on my digests, and read the
     latest ones first!
     Alan wrote:
> [...]
     Using the formula above, I'm coming out with 19.58 mph per 1000 rpm,
     or 78.32 mph at 4000 in fifth.---seems too high, or else everyone else
     on 280 (at least the fast ones) is doing over 80mph.--
     Regards,
     Alan G. Lambert___________________________________<gerard@domain.elided>
                *******Los Altos, California (office)*******
     In my Spider, the rear end ratio is 4.1, and using approximately the
     same size tires, I get 22 mph/1000 rpm in 5th. Taking Alan's ratio of
     4.556 divided by my ratio of 4.1 and dividing that number into the
     speed per 1000 gives about 19.8 mph/1000 for the higher ratio rear
     end.  So, at 4000, you would be doing about 79 MPH. The only sources
     of error are 1. tire size, and 2. tach calibration, and 3. tach
     reading error. The other factors are fixed, ie, gearbox and axle
     ratios. So the best advice is to find a section of road that is
     measured, try to hold to 60 mph, and time the run from the start ot
     the end of the mile. The time should be exactly 60 seconds if you hold
     60 mph. Less time = higher actual speed, or speed = 60/time.
     Len