4-cyl head removal

     I have found on a few engines that no amount of force, banging,
     prying, twisting, whatever, will get the head to budge once loosened.
     It seems to me that in some cases the factory lifting tool, or a
     homemade equivalent, is pretty much essential.  Lloyd's piece in the
     last digest sounded like a good homemade version, as there probably
     are not too many factory tools around.

     In a couple instances that, even standing in the engine compartment
     directly above the engine, pulling the head straight up does not help.
      But sometimes having two people pulling equally, one on each side of
     the engine, can work.  But be careful to pull straight; cocking the
     head on the studs will jam it on the studs solid.

     Andrew Watry