re: Spider shocks

Eugen Yoo wrote:

> Subject: Spider shocks (Konis) & wheels
>
> Any experiences with Koni yellows on the Spider?  I have an 84, and one of
> the big problems I have is that it's too rough on NYC pavement (potholes
> and such).  I'd like to soften it up just a little bit around the city, but
> be able to keep it reasonably tight.  I think it's stock all around, and it
> seems uncomfortably tight.
>
> What kind of rubber is everyone else having on their cars?  Stock alloys,
> is it worth it to up the size to 15 or 16?  I'm keen on the Yokos since
> I've had them before, so I was thinking AVSi or A509.
>
> Also, any other alfisti in the NYC area?

Eugene,

While I've never used Konis on a spider (but tried Bilstein, Koni and
Tokiko years ago on my sciroccos), I would be very surprised if they
were adjustable to a setting significantly SOFTER than the stock
suspension (assuming it's in good shape).  Perhaps someone with more
specific experience on Alfa suspension set ups will chime in.  (KYB
perhaps, folks?) However, are you sure the stock suspension is in good
shape?  I'm surpised you find it too tight.

If your main concern is potholes, I think I recall a thread a little
while back about a shock/spring combination that would RAISE the car
slightly (stock springs and gas shocks, was it?).  In the context of
that thread, that was not a diesired result, but if your main concern is
comfort over potholes, it might be an advantage to you.

On that note, I would certainly NOT consider increasing the diameter of
the wheels, which would significantly diminish the shock-absorbtion of
the tires, and INCREASE the amount of roughness transmitted from the
road to the car.  Besides, why do you want to go pay a lot of money for
aftermarket rims and beat them up on potholes.  The only motivation I
can see would be to buy 14" rims so that you could save the stock rims
for some future day when the car doesn't live in the city and won't be
subject to such abuse.

As for tires, AVSI are favored by many on this digest, and if that's
your inclination anyway, I'd go with it.

Good luck.  But I wouldn't put a lot of money into customizing the Alfa
if you're just going to sell.

If you do keep the spider in New York, I would recommend that you keep
NOTHING of value in it and leave it unlocked at all times (preferably
with the windows down).  Nobody's going to steal the car (most likely),
but somebody might cut your top just to have a look around inside.

Hal Taylor
'86 spider veloce "Strega"
formerly of the NY area, now left coast.

End of alfa-digest V7 #120