Re:164 oxygen sensor

     164 oxygen sensor

     I'm getting ready to replace the oxygen sensor on my '92 164S.  I've
     read
     the manual which says to disconnect the rear of the catalytic
     converter.
     And, I say a post on the list from someone who had disconnected the
     down
     pipes at the manifold flange.  Anyone have a view of the better
     method?

     Rob,

     The typical Alfa logic applies, the more you take off, the easier the
     job really will be.

     I took off my converter off entirely and I'm glad I did. My bolts
     weren't rusted at the flanges but I would view these as sacrificial
     and replace them. Replace the two metal gaskets as well. It took quite
     a lot of effort to get the sensor loose and I ended up putting the
     converter in my Workmate to hold it while I removed the sensor with a
     long handled wrench.

     If you haven't bought the new sensor, I would suggest you go to
     IMPARTS for a new one. They handle a generic 3 wire type that works
     fine and costs much less than the OEM.

     Sid
     164L