164 oxygen sensor

I'm getting ready to replace the oxygen sensor on my '92 164S.  I've read
the manual which says to disconnect the rear of the catalytic converter.
And, I say a post on the list from someone who had disconnected the down
pipes at the manifold flange.  Anyone have a view of the better method?  I
was under the car this weekend and had a look.  The converter to center
exhaust is pretty corroded and looks like a bear to get apart and back
together.  The S has 2 flanges to deal with so the front is looking
preferable as the manifold flanges are pretty accessible from under the
car.  Also, there's a heat shield around the sensor.  Can this be removed?
It looks easier without it on.

Rob Perry
'92 164S