oil filter problems

hi,
         i friend call me from allentown , PA. he has a 79 spider. the oil
filter blew off, base and all. he put on a new one, it blew off. he said it
takes about 30 seconds, and during that time the gauge goes up and down
rapidly. he says the threads do not appear damaged. i am thinking stuck
relief valve? i think we have to assume he is using the right filters. the
original one that first blew off had been on for more than a few weeks, so i
dont think its wrong filters. he is stuck there, he lives on long island.
any ideas? can the relief valve be serviced in the car? where is it? know
any shops in allentown area that can help him? anyone ever heard of this???

thanks,
Mike Hooker