Re: Hella-vision halogen headlights

At 09:48 PM 9/14/98 -0400, Kevin M. wrote:
>I'm about to install a set of the IAP Hella-vision halogens in my '74 Spider,
>which, with the exception of the Marelli-plex is original stock,
electrically-
>speaking. Which means I'm putting some pretty hot lights on  old, no relay-
>included wires. Any suggestions by those who have been there? Would I be wise
>to add a relay to the system first?

Did this on my GTV6. I ran an extra-heavy duty cable from alternator to the
connector on the side of the engine bay, put in some Hella sockets and
relays, and ran 2,5 square millimeter cable to _and from_ the headlights.
Result: painfully bright headlights. My advice: go get the hardware and do
it now. You'll probably melt your wires someday without it.
As a footnote: I left all the original wiring in place, and mounted the
relay sockets, fuseholder etc on a separate metal plate, so I can rip it
out and go back to stock if I should decide to sell. That way I don't have
to buy everything again if I buy another car.

Best, Jaap Bouma (Netherlands)
'87 GTV6 2.5 Grand Prix