Re: Hella-vision halogen headlights

Kevin M. wrote:

> I'm about to install a set of the IAP Hella-vision halogens in
> my '74 Spider... I'm putting some pretty hot lights on old, no
> relay-included wires. Any suggestions by those who have been
> there? Would I be wise to add a relay to the system first?

I would worry about the column switch. At least thru '80,
Spiders relied entirely on the column switch to apply current
to the headlights. This is a significant amount of current and
as the contacts age, can burn out/melt the column switches,
which are unavailable or at least very expensive. =

For those wishing to add a headlight relay to their Spider,
there's an article at:

   http://www.catenary.com/victor/isaluti

Select "Feature Stories," "Electrical," and then "Lighten the
Load on your Alfa's Column Switch." =

Good Luck,

Rich Hirsch
'87 Milano