RE: More On Fuel Gauge

<snip>
> This is not a problem though, as the only time that I really NEED to
> know what my fuel level is, is when I need to fill it up. So, I fill
> her up, the gague works. I drive her around ... it shows full ... then
> drops to the "off" position for some time, then resumes working at
> approximately 25% fuel remaining. I know that I ned to fill up again
> rsn.
>
> BUT ....  :)
>
> Every year, in late spring or early summer, this behaviour changes.
> The gague typically at this time of year reads far more
> optimistically. Where it might have read 25% full, it will now read 50%!
>
> Although it appears to work more of the time, I suspect that it's
> something to do with humidity or the expansion of the fuel or
> something like that.

i'd speculate (!) that the windings on your fuel sender have some schmegma
buildup around the middle that's keeping the float arm from making contact
with the windings in the center, but not at either end.

how this relates to the change of seasons i don't know, but it would explain
the drop off with the tank half full.  i'd start by pulling the sender and
cleaning it off, otherwise a new sender cost around $35 last time i checked.

good luck,

bs