difficulty newly-rebuilt '74 2L motor to run "properly"

- --I'm posting this for mike
I'm having difficulty getting my newly-rebuilt '74 2L motor to run
"properly". I barely got it together and debugged enough to make the trip
to Monterrey last month, but the car had an awful "flat spot" from 1/4 -
1/2 throttle. It seems to be related more to throttle position rather than
RPM, but I don't have a lot of time in the car yet. Since the motor has
only ~1,000 miles on it, I've taken it somewhat easy. But the I get pissed
off with the response and step on it occasionally, whereupon it picks-up
OK, but nothing to rave about. (I'm definitely spoiled though because my
daily driver is an FZR 1000).

Everything is new or rebuilt on the motor. I've installed an RML ignition
(advanced slightly from stock), Sperry HP-3 cams and an Ingram
"performance" pump recurved to match the cams, hi-comp pistons, everything
balanced, etc.

My question to the digest is whether anybody else has installed the HP-3
cams, either with Spica or carbs? If so, do you have such a flat spot? If
it's the cams, shouldn't it be related pretty closely to RPM and not
throttle position?

Any help appreciated-
Mike Grace
'74 GTV