78 Spider air flow.

Hi all,
     I was wondering if the engine in my 78 Spider (SPICA) can benefit from an
increase in air flow from the filter box?  I have an extra box now and I
noticed that the area of the intake openings (all four together) is much
greater than that of the opening that the air comes in to go through the
filter.  I know on cars with an airflow meter that they will recognize a flow
improvement and take advantage of it.  I had thought of modifying the extra
box to increase the airflow just for kicks, however, I don't want to mess up
an extra (rusty) part if it won't make any difference.
Thanks,
Ed Gibbs