RE: 78 Spider air flow.

> Hi all,
>      I was wondering if the engine in my 78 Spider (SPICA) can
> benefit from an
> increase in air flow from the filter box?  I have an extra box now and I
> noticed that the area of the intake openings (all four together) is much
> greater than that of the opening that the air comes in to go through the
> filter.  I know on cars with an airflow meter that they will
> recognize a flow
> improvement and take advantage of it.  I had thought of modifying
> the extra
> box to increase the airflow just for kicks, however, I don't want
> to mess up
> an extra (rusty) part if it won't make any difference.

if i remember correctly, the '78 air box has all of the convoluted intake
and emissions plumbing at the front of the box.  one modification that used
to be common was to find a front cover from an earlier spica and use it
instead.  the earlier boxes had a front cover that had one single input that
went towards the front (cold air intake).

this is a mildly effective mod, if i remember correctly.  make sure that
when you modify your front cover that you direct cold air into the box.  a
bigger input that is sucking in warm air from the engine compartment will
not be as effective as it should.

good luck,

bs