Ways to fix '66 GTV dash

Dear Alfisti,

I'm looking for suggestions on ways to fix the dash
front on my '66 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce. The stock
dash is made out of a molded, pressed paper material
that is coated with a thin vinyl veneer. (I was really
dismayed that Alfa chose to use such poor materials.)
Over the years the veneer cracked and peeled in spots.

My approach to fixing it will most likely be to sand
or grind away the high spots of the veneer to produce
a decent base and then use some sort of resin to level
it. It will then be sanded and painted--probably gray
like a GTA dash. =

Questions:

1) What resin should I use for this repair.

2) Are there other approaches to repairing the dash that
   I should consider? =

Thanks,

Rich Hirsch
'87 Milano