Self Censorship/"Mark and Alan"

I had started a response yesterday to the question of sports and especially
the involvement of citizens in the USA with sports.  In addition I looked
forward to addressing the idea of driving a car to its limits and how that
compares to the USA's behavior to sports such as baseball.  This is a
subject I am deeply interested in and of which I have done a great deal of
study and about which I have considerably well supported but uncommon
ideas.

I feel that there is no way to naturally separate disciplines or issues.
Everything is entangled.  Everything is metaphor.  In any case, thinking
that I was addressing a group of concerned, interested, intelligent,
involved human beings within the AD I felt that my thoughts would at least
help those interested-including myself-to think deeply about some
enormously important questions triggered by a view of the USA from outside
the USA. ( USAians are traditionally and emphatically removed from any view
of themselves but their own. The world outside the USA is for most of us
merely an inconvenience and "their" slant views only sad delusions.)

I wrote as far as I did on  the subject with great care especially as my
views are uncommon, provocative, and challenging.  Then I checked my mail
and saw the objection of an ex Ferrari Digester; I deleted my letter.  I
felt that once again I would be faced with an accusation that I have faced
all of my life : I was philosophizing, examining, probing, questioning.  I
was OFF TOPIC.  Besides, an expression of contrary views takes up time and
band width and worse makes folks uneasy, less grounded and more bothersome.
( As a teacher especially I was perpetually accused of living in rare air
as I wanted to discuss and test and challenge methodology and philosophy in
education.  Few of my fellows and NONE of the administration and the gods
know damned few parents could tolerate anything that was not superficially
and momentarily efficient only. A taboo subject was questioning extrinsic
motivation as opposed to intrinsic especially as nearly everyone was a
coach first and foremost and had Xs and Os filling their heads.  ( There is
no recognition or respect whatever in our schools for intrinsic motivation;
like circus seals, our children perform simple minded tricks for an endless
supply of dead fish which then turn into proud parent bumper stickers. )

My point simply is that I find it personally compelling to "get off topic"
when subjects such as the "Trivia Obsessed USAian" are introduced.  Time
and again I have stopped myself from comment because of fears as alluded to
above.  I have tried to avoid stating any opinion here about this "subject
issue" although I have surely implied an attitude at least.   Really, all I
wanted to do was state a feeling as a digester.  I am still thinking very
hard about my natural inclination to get off topic and have come to no
final conclusions.

Thank you for accepting this digression.

David

( P.S.  I applaud the satirist who blamed recent disgruntlement on Richard
Welty.  Everything really is metaphor.  I have heard the "Richard Welty's
Fault" argument all of my life as well and find it absurd of course.
Nevertheless, disappearing "The Alfa Romeo Digest" is the kind of solution
to a perceived problem that not only supersaturates our educational system
but our society as well - of course.

By The Way : Why not consider a change in parameters?

"What is honored in a society will be nurtured there."_____  Plato