Vacuum leak tracing

Thanks Richard for your reply :

The potion I find useful is the spray-can of ether (marketed as
"Sure Start" or something like it -- an aid to get the engine to fire).
With the air-intake plumbing in place and the engine at idle, if a
short blast of this spray at the carbs results in a pick-up in engine
speed, there is a leak.  Isolating <where> is a matter of short,
targeted blasts and interpretation.  There is no digital read-out of
exactly where the leak is.

I haven't physically checked for quite a while, but from
recollection, I'm not sure that there's enough access to do this in
the area under the carbs and manifold. I seem to recall that there
isn't enough room or access to get an aerosol with a nozzle-tube
into that underside area and aimed even vaguely upwards, but I
could well just need to look again and try harder next time.  The
thing I was wondering was whether somebody had sussed out
some better way to troubleshoot this inaccessible area...... but it
looks like there's not.   No free lunches eh?

Graham Hilder,
New Zealand.
GTV, Alfetta, Alfasud